09 July 2008

Vienna and New Orleans?!?

I just found out one of my colleagues will also be attending the Graz conference with me, so I will have a travel buddy. The two of us represent 2/3 of the Americans (in that there are only three of us) attending this conference--there will be one other student there from Brown. We booked our airfare last night and got a surprisingly good deal to Vienna. Plans are tentatively to fly in to Vienna, chill there a bit, Salzburg, somewhere in Italy, and then head to the conference, go back to Vienna and fly home. The timing is bit weird since AMS is the weekend before, so we planned to extend the Europe trip in lieu of going to Nashville this year. So, the airfare is purchased! Now we have a couple months to plan out the hostel and train situation.

Today I also received an email that my abstract was accepted for the 2009 Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association national meeting. Sort of like AMS/SMT for pop culture studies. My paper is on various issues surrounding Gwen Stefani's Harajuku Girls: fashion, imperialism, mass marketing, narratives of the body, representations of Asian sexualities, and of course--the music. Oh, and the conference is in New Orleans!!! It looks like 2008-2009 is going to be my year of traveling, so I'm pretty excited so far.

No comments: